Thursday, October 29, 2009

Identical

Disclaimer: I check my books out from the library.

I'm hard to impress and dislike almost everything I read. If I do like it, I will praise it from here to the high heavens.

Think you've got something I'll enjoy? By all means, recommend it to me!


Today's book victim is Identical, by Ellen Hopkins.

Right off the bat, the book scored a negative point with me: Lots and lots of swearing. Yes, I know some people do it. But I avoid them. I also avoid books that have it. HOWEVER, that by itself won't give a book a negative score.

The next thing to score a negative point was the formatting. Like free-style poetry. The first page. The second page. What? Every page??? I could not lose myself in the narrative. BUT, I'm sure someone would call it creative, new, unique.

The story was pretty interesting. Twin sisters, a mom who's gone batty, a sexually abusive father. But then I got suspicious about the identity of the sisters (early on, too, in like the first thirty pages). Only that was too easy. Too cliche. I had to be wrong.

I wasn't.

The ending was way too reminiscent of "The Uninvited" for me to be impressed with the book. I didn't enjoy reading it and found the ending boring, unoriginal, and not quite believable.

My rating: D

A = Buy this book NOW
B = Buy this when you can
C = Check it out from the library
D = Don't bother reading it
F = Burn it

No comments:

Post a Comment