Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fallen by Lauren Kate


Disclaimer: I get all my books from the library.   

Today's book is Fallen by Lauren Kate.

On the whole, I was disappointed in this book. I was very excited for it. I saw the trailer on barnesandnoble.com, and it made me want to read the book. So I requested it from the library.

It starts off interestingly enough. We realize quickly in the beginning that the girl, Luce, is either being reincarnated or is unknowingly some kind of immortal. This was the third book in six months that I've read that takes place in a group home/reform school. The reasons for Luce being in the home are very mysterious. She kissed a boy and he caught fire. Whoa. Crazy. Unfortunately, this mystery, which pretty much fueled the entire book, wasn't resolved by the end of it. Which meant I felt pretty much unresolved.

It's difficult to critique this without giving away spoilers, but by the end of the book we find out that the group home is not a real group home (hmm...sound like any other book I've reviewed?), but some sort of respite for...special types. And the way it plays out is totally unbelievable (for paranormal suspense, mind you).

Still, it was a good read, and I'll be interested in reading the sequel. So overall, I give this book an C.

A = Buy this book NOW
B = Buy this when you can
C = Check it out from the library
D = Don't bother reading it
F = Burn it

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you have the SAME exact views as me. I ordered Fallen though since I like keeping my books around, but I have regretted wasting money when I could have checked it out. Gr.

    Anyways, I love your reviews! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete