Tuesday, April 13, 2010

LA Candy by Lauren Conrad

Disclaimer: I get all my books from the library.   

Today's book is LA Candy by Lauren Conrad.


This book had a lot of potential. The subject matter is extremely interesting; it's a novel based on Conrad's actual experiences moving out to LA and getting involved in a reality show. Since most of us have no behind-the-scenes experience with reality shows, this is fascinating. I really wanted to into this aspect of the book.

But there were a few problems that kept me from really getting into it. The main characters Scarlett and Jane, were very disagreeable. Not so much Jane in the beginning, though she did come across as kind of mousy. I just don't much like people with no backbone. I didn't find anything likable about Scarlett except her loyalty to Jane.

Jane, however, turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment. I suppose it's typical that one moves to LA (or some other place) where everyone has a different moral standard than your own, so you decide to try it out. But I can't relate to people who switch moral codes just because everyone else is doing something it. Do we only act/believe a certain way because those around us do? I hope there is more substance to us than that.

Also, I thought the writing felt very amateur-ish. Just because someone was on a reality show doesn't make them qualified to write a novel. The POVs switched a lot more than necessary, IMHO.

Overall, the book was interesting but not great. I'd give this book a C.

A = Buy this book NOW
B = Buy this when you can
C = Check it out from the library
D = Don't bother reading it
F = Burn it

No comments:

Post a Comment