Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Betraying Season by Marissa Doyle


Disclaimer: I get all my books from the library.   

Today's book is Betraying Season by Marissa Doyle.

This book is also a sequel, though I didn't know that when I checked it out. (I should pay more attention.) The first book is Bewitching Season, which I have not read. The sequel stood quite well on its own, giving me enough details to understand what had happened in the first one, but also leaving enough out to make me want to read the first one.

Set in the mid 1800s in Ireland, Betraying Season is full of historical references and interesting facts about courtship and propriety of the time. But it is also much more than that. It's about a young girl named Pen who is studying magic in the hopes of becoming a powerful (but good) witch. In the mean time, she meets a young man and falls madly in love with him--only to discover that his mother set them up so she could use Pen's power.

This book is extremely well written. It did include alternating POVs between Pen and Lover boy, and I think the book would have been more suspenseful if we hadn't had that inside look. There was one half of a chapter where I though our heroine acted incredibly stupidly, and I rolled my eyes and skipped several pages. But maybe that was just me. Overall, the book was romantic, suspenseful, and real. This is a good one for a teenage girl's shelf. Keep in mind that I haven't read the first one, but I assume it is just as good.

I give this book an A-.

A = Buy this book NOW
B = Buy this when you can
C = Check it out from the library
D = Don't bother reading it
F = Burn it

No comments:

Post a Comment