Monday, March 29, 2010

The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull

Today's book is The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull.

Disclaimer: No Disclaimer. I actually bought this book.

I read and thoroughly enjoyed all of the Fablehaven books. So, while waiting for the fifth one to come out (which I hear is in a few weeks), I decided to invest in Mull's other book.

This book is middle grade fiction, just like his other series. However, this books feels more MG. It still had the supernatural elements, the fast-paced action. But there's something missing. Some element of tension that I wanted and didn't find.

The story revolves around four children who  become secret agents for a candy-maker. This candy gives them magical powers while they are eating it, and it's also delicious. Yum. But then they realize they might be helping the wrong side. A bunch of chaos and mild, magical violence ensues while the children try to set things straight.

Mull is an excellent writer. There are no plot holes and the story is fun. Not quite as gripping as Fablehaven, but still very enjoyable. I highly recommend for the younger readers.

I'm going to have to give it a B.

A = Buy this book NOW
B = Buy this when you can
C = Check it out from the library
D = Don't bother reading it
F = Burn it

P.S. I recently joined The Hop. Hop on board if you review books and want your blog to get more attention, or if you are looking for books to review. 

3 comments:

  1. I've been reading this book to my daughter, but I might just have to go finish it because it's taking too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this book at one of his book signings. Haven't read it yet, but I'm glad it's enjoyable. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely worth reading. He's an excellent writer.

    ReplyDelete