Monday, November 9, 2009

The Possibilities of Sainthood by Donna Freitas

Disclaimer: I check my books out from the library.


Today's victim is The Possibilities of Sainthood, by Donna Frietas. It's an adolescent book. The theme is slightly mature for middle grade, but reads just a bit juvenile for young adult. For this reason, I didn't think I would enjoy it. Too...easy, simplistic.

I was pleasantly surprised. No riveting suspense, but a typical teenage girl hoping for first love. The main character, Antonia, is an Italian-American Catholic, and the cultural influences in this novel were perhaps the most delightful. It was a joy to learn about the Catholic denomination and the Italian traditions. There was enough of a paranormal element to the book to make me wish there were a sequel.

On the downside, I didn't feel like the paranormal element got developed enough. That one aspect kept me turning the pages to see what more would happen, but it was only mentioned in passing. A lot could have been done with it.

A nice slice-of-life romantic novel. An enjoyable read. If you have teenagers, you'll want this one. Warning: There is a lot of talk about sexuality. But it's not done in a bad way.

I'm giving the book a B.



A = Buy this book NOW
B = Buy this when you can
C = Check it out from the library
D = Don't bother reading it
F = Burn it

No comments:

Post a Comment