Friday, November 13, 2009

Saving Zoe by Alyson Noel

Disclaimer: I get all my books from the library.

Today's book is Saving Zoe by Alyson Noel.


I'm not going to say much about this book because I was so disappointed by it. It had a great premise and started out so emotionally strong: The protagonist (Echo)'s older sister, Zoe, was brutally murdered a year ago. Echo receives Zoe's diary and gets to know her sister, who she totally idolizes, in a way she never imagined.

Sounds good, right?

Don't hold your breath. This book got great reviews from people who said it made laugh and cry. Not me. First of all, Zoe is so not who I would want to admire. She gets drunk, smokes pot, sleeps around, sneaks out, does horrible in school, and lies to everyone. And the book is really about her, not Echo. Sure, I get the point. That Echo has to discover who she is without Zoe and come to be okay with herself. But the book never once makes it out that maybe Echo, with her good grades and 'boring' boyfriend, might be the better sister.

Oh, and Echo totally dumps her 'boring' boyfriend to go out with the cool bad boy who smokes. Because of her sister. Give me a less used cliche.

I still plan on reading the Immortals series. I sure hope it's better.

I was so disappointed I wanted to burn the book. So this book gets a big fat F.

A = Buy this book NOW
B = Buy this when you can
C = Check it out from the library
D = Don't bother reading it
F = Burn it

No comments:

Post a Comment